BIO-PROFILING OF A POTENTIAL ANTIMYCOBACTERIAL BACTERIOCIN PRODUCED BY BACILLUS SUBTILIS (MK733983) OF ETHNOMEDICINAL ORIGIN

Authors

  • Shanti Doctoral Research Scholar
  • Aranganathan V Jain University

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.15414/jmbfs.3259

Keywords:

Bacteriocin, Bacillus subtilis, Ethnomedicinal origin, Bioassay guided TLC techniques, wide antibacterial spectrum

Abstract

Antibiotic resistance is a global crisis and antimicrobial peptides or bacteriocins are the ascending alternatives. This study is reporting a potential bacteriocin from B. subtilis (MK733983) of ethnomedicinal origin showing significant activity with Mycobacterium smegmatis as an indicator organism on spot-on-lawn assay. Production optimization with suitable physical parameters such as modified lysogeny broth [1.5% peptone; 0.75% salt; 0.75% yeast], temperature [35 °C], pH [7], inoculum size [1%] and time course [24 h] has enhanced the activity up to 20%. This study also observed that supplements like minimal essential medium amino acids and B complex vitamins individually has further enhanced the bacteriocin activity by 13% (total 33%), biomass by 43%, total protein and activity by 17% and 22% respectively. However, addition of some common growth supplements like multivitamins with trace elements, CaCl2 and MgSO4 had shown inhibitory effect on bacteriocin activity. Molecular weight of the bacteriocin was estimated to be below 14kDa and bioassay guided TLC techniques showed distinctive antibacterial activity. The bacteriocin completely lost its activity with Trypsin, α-Chymotrypsin, Proteinase K but not with Amylase, and showed up to 40% activity with Papain. It showed heat stability up to 70°C with a wide antibacterial spectrum against standard strains of Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Escherichia coli and Chromobacterium violaceum with minimal inhibitory concentrations ranging between 0.325±0.02-0.75±0.02mg/mL, suggesting the bacteriocin may have wide application prospects.

Author Biography

Shanti, Doctoral Research Scholar

Santhi Sudha S,

Doctoral Research scholar

Jain (Deemed to-be-University), Department of Biochemistry, 18, 3rd Block, 9th Main Rd, Jayanagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560011.

Phone: +919035501749, 080 4322 6500

ORCID 0000-0002-7294-2246

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7294-2246

sushanti4all@yahoo.com

Downloads

Published

2021-08-01

How to Cite

Santhi Sudha S, & V, A. (2021). BIO-PROFILING OF A POTENTIAL ANTIMYCOBACTERIAL BACTERIOCIN PRODUCED BY BACILLUS SUBTILIS (MK733983) OF ETHNOMEDICINAL ORIGIN. Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences, 11(1), e3259. https://doi.org/10.15414/jmbfs.3259

Issue

Section

Miscellaneous
Received 2020-06-12
Accepted 2021-01-20
Online Published 2021-08-01